This topic describes how you work with the instant messenger in the portal:
● Starting an instant messaging session
● Replying to an instant message
● Adding participants to an ongoing instant messaging session
● Ending your participation in an instant messaging session
The instant messaging window consists of the following tabs:
In this tab, you enter text messages and view the text messages exchanged between the participants during the session.
In this tab, you can:
● Add additional participants at any time to the instant messaging session.
● View which users are currently participating in the session
Instant messaging does not work if you are running a third-party popup blocker application.
Before initiating or joining an instant messaging session, either close the popup blocker or add the portal domain to the allowed sites of your popup blocker application. If the latter still does not solve the problem, close the popup blocker completely
● You and the intended recipients are logged on to the portal.
● Your availability status in the portal and that of the intended recipients must be online (see Using the Availability Status).
You start an instant messaging session by sending the first message.
1. Open the Collaboration Launch Pad (see Working with the Collaboration Launch Pad (CLP)).
2. In the Collaboration Launch Pad, choose the users to whom you want to send the instant message:
○ To send an instant message to a single user already listed in your portal contact list in the Collaboration Launch Pad, click the icon to the lower right of the user’s name. Then, choose Send Instant Message in the context menu that appears.
○ To send an instant message to multiple users already listed in your portal contact list, select the check box of each user. Then, choose Send Instant Message in the Collaboration menu in the Collaboration Launch Pad.
○ To send an instant message to a single user not listed in your portal contact list, find the user using the people finder tool at the bottom of the Collaboration Launch Pad. When you have located the user, click the icon to the lower right of the user’s name. Then, choose Send Instant Message in the user’s context menu.
3. Open the Messages tab.
4. Enter your text message in the box located to the left of the Send button.
5. Click Send or press Enter. The instant message is sent to the selected recipients. Your name and the message text are displayed in the message log area in the Message window.
When you receive an instant message from another portal user, a window with the message in it automatically appears on your desktop. If needed, you can reply to the sender in the same window that you received the message.
1. In the Messages tab, enter your text message in the box located to the left of the Send button.
2. Click Send or press Enter. Your text message is sent to all users participating in the current session. Your name and the text message are displayed in everyone's message log area.
You cannot prevent a message from being sent to a particular user currently in the session. To restrict a message to a particular participant in the current session, you can initiate a new instant message session in parallel to the one you are participating in.
Any user participating in an ongoing instant messaging session can invite other users to join the session after it has started.
1. Open the Contacts tab in the instant messaging window.
2. In the input box, type one or more names of portal users or user groups you want to add. If you enter more than one name, you must separate them with a semi-colon.
Alternatively, if you want to search for users or user groups, do the following:
a. Enter any part of user's name and use wildcards or leave the input box empty.
b. Click Select. The Select Users or Groups window appears.
c. In the Select Users or Groups window, select the intended user from the list of possible matches.
d. Click OK.
3. In the Contacts tab, click Add to add the users or user groups displayed in the input field to the ongoing session. An instant messaging window is automatically opened on the desktop of each user you invited.
When a new user joins an ongoing instant messaging session, all participants receive a notification in their respective message log areas informing them that a new user has joined the session.
New users joining an ongoing instant messaging session will not see the earlier text messages that were exchanged between the participants before he or she joined the session.
Any user participating in an instant messaging session may leave the session at any time.
● If you are the session host (the user who initiated the session), click one of the following in the Messages tab:
○ Leave Session:Ends the session for the session host only. The remaining participants may continue using the instant messaging tool until all users have left the session. They will receive a message that you have left the session.
○ End Session: Ends the session for all participants. The remaining participants will receive a message that the session has been terminated.
● If you are not the session host, click Leave Session in the Messages tab. The remaining participants will receive a message that you have left the session.