Using discussions, you can exchange posts about documents and folders with other users. You can participate in and create discussions.
To create discussions for documents and folders, the documents and folders must exist in the portal.
You access the discussion on a
document or folder through the Details
dialog for the resource in question. To launch the Details dialog, you
choose Details in the context menu
for the resource.
Depending on the settings that your system administrator has made, discussions may only be available at the folder level.
Discussions of this type are also available on the portal homepage and in rooms.
A discussion has a hierarchical structure. This comprises the following levels:
● Discussion topic (one or more)
● Posts on the discussion topic
● Replies to posts
The topic list provides an overview of the discussion topics. In the topic list, the following editing functions are available:
● Editing the discussion
○ Jump to the list of posts for the discussion topic (by clicking the topic name)
Creating new discussion
You enter the subject and a description of the discussion topic. The subject appears in the topic list.
○ Adding the discussion to your favorites on the portal homepage (by pushbutton)
○ Subscribing to the discussion (by pushbutton) to be notified about new or deleted topics or posts.
● Deleting all topics (including posts)
○ As a participant, you can only delete your own discussions for which no posts exist yet.
As a moderator, you require write permission for the folder or the document that the discussion is linked to in order to delete the discussion (is assigned automatically when creating the discussion) or the Collaboration service permission.
To call up the posts for a discussion topic, click the topic name in the topic list. You can display the posts for a discussion topic or enter your own posts.
On the page of the posts for the discussion topic, the following editing functions are available:
● Entering new posts on the discussion topic
● Entering replies to posts
Sending the discussion, a post, or a
reply by e-mail
The document that the discussion is linked to is sent either as a link or as an e-mail attachment – folders are sent only as links.
Subscribing to a discussion, a
post, or a reply to be notified of changes.
If you have subscribed to a discussion, you can choose the same menu item to edit the required subscriptions. You can manage your subscriptions in the Subscription iView.
● Deleting the discussion, the post, or the reply
○ As a participant, you can delete only your own discussions, posts, or replies that no one has responded to yet.
○ As moderator of a discussion, you require write permission for the folder or the document that the discussion is linked to in order to delete the discussion (is assigned automatically when creating the discussion) or the Collaboration service permission.